Holborn College

In the late 1940s and early 1950s, barrister T.A. Blanco White started teaching courses in patent and trade mark law at Sir John Cass College and Princeton College of Languages and Commerce in London. These courses consisted of several lectures intended to give “industrial administrators and executives a working knowledge of the problems of Patents and Registered Design protection”.

The number of students enrolled that year was 64 and the lecturers were barristers such as Eric Walker, Anthony Walton and Blanco White, barristers from Francis Taylor Building. The Patent Law course at Princeton College of Languages and Commerce in London began in 1950, having 24 students on its roll.

According to Sir Robin Jacob, this course moved to Holborn College of Technology in 1967. It was consecutively taught by Walton, Robin Jacob, Hugh Laddie and Peter Prescott. The course eventually died because universities started teaching ‘intellectual property law’.