Marks & Clerk
The patent and trade mark agency of Marks & Clerk was first established in Birmingham in 1888, but gradually opened offices in London and the rest of the major cities in England and the Commonwealth. Its two founders were Dugald Clerk, a Scottish engineer and inventor of the first two stroke engines, who often appeared as an expert witness in patent cases, and George Croydon Marks, an entrepreneur who was instrumental in setting up the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (now CITMA) in 1934. The firm was the most important patent and trade mark agency of the twentieth century. In the second half of the century, it was joined by Norman Waddleton, a fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge and president of the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents (1980-1981). Another remarkable figure from Marks & Clerk for many decades was Julius Joseph, an influential practitioner and the first ‘trade mark’ partner of the firm. Perhaps the most interesting development of the agency in the 1960s was the interest it developed in patent and trade mark renewals, demonstrated by its involvement in CPA (Computer Patent Annuities) and its different attempts to acquire watching agencies such as TMDS (Trade Marks Directory Service).
Marks & Clerk