Queen Elizabeth Building

Since the war, the Temple was the scene of much rebuilding. One of the new buildings that emerged after the war was Queen Elizabeth Building, opened in November 1957. The building was occupied by an important patent set, headed consecutively by Stafford Cripps and Lionel Heald and clerked by Roy Nicholls. It is not surprising that the chambers were often described as the ‘politicians’ chambers’. However, it certainly became an important site of expertise where prominent barristers such as Geoffrey Everington QC and Stephen Gratwick QC were nurtured. According to many contemporaries, Gratwick was probably the most polished patent barrister of his time. In the late 1960s, the chambers moved to Gray’s Inn where they are still located (at 11 South Square).

Location

Middle Temple

Barristers

Lionel Heald; Patrick Graham; Geoffrey Everington; Stephen Gratwick; Peter Ford; Gerald Paterson; Anthony Rogers; Nicholas Pumfrey; Christopher Floyd

Clerks

Roy Nicholls

Queen Elizabeth Building